Cake Decorating & Sugarcraft - Entry 3 (NCFE)
This course will provide practical introductory experience in a range of sugarcraft techniques and an introduction to some of the underpinning knowledge, evaluation and record keeping skills required for further study in this subject.
During the course you will look at key skills for employment within the field.
Include elements of research and development into your working projects.
Consider how to develop and transfer your subject knowledge for community/ citizenship use.
Will I gain a qualification on this course?
NCFE Entry Level Award in Creative Craft.
Course lengths vary. Class sessions last between 2 to 3 hours per week. Please ask at the centre or consult the Course Brochure to see how many weeks the course runs for.
Who is this course for?
For learners wishing to gain introductory knowledge and skills in sugar craft, and who may be thinking about studying for a level 1 qualification.
Basic literacy and numeracy skills (free help is available within BAES if required). At the start of this course, your tutor will carry out an initial assessment to check that the level is suitable for you.
What will I learn?
- Use equipment and materials to make and apply royal icing, pipe shell scrolls, create decorative borders, making sugar flowers and create marzipan figures
- Gain basic knowledge of some of the theories supporting the above techniques
- Use basic technical terms for planning, evaluation and record keeping
- Develop creative ideas to produce finished items
- Use materials, tools and equipment in line with hygiene and health and safety guidelines
- Observe health & safety guidelines
- Begin to build a portfolio
How will I learn?
- Through tutor demonstration and instruction
- By exploring equipment, tools and techniques
- By carrying out research into techniques and applications
- By creating your own designs
- By critically evaluating your own work as well as that of others
- By making a finished product
- Understand the structure of NCFE qualifications
What could this course lead to?
It could lead to further courses in sugar craft techniques at intermediate level, or to a qualification at level 1.
Your responsibilities as a learner on this course
To ensure that you gain maximum benefit from your course you will need to attend all sessions, be punctual, and bring the correct materials to each session.
Fees for this course do not include the cost of materials and tools. During the course you will need to purchase equipment, sugar paste and other sundries costing approximately £50.
For the first week, you will need to bring a folder, note pad and pen, as well as a roll of greaseproof paper. You will also need to wear an apron and some form of head covering during class. Tutor will advise at enrolment what materials or equipment is required for future classes.