Cake Decorating & Sugarcraft - Intermediate
- To enable learners to build on knowledge, skills and abilities gained at level 1 and to produce and evaluate finished items which demonstrate emerging levels of skill.
- To enable you to develop existing skills to design and create cake coverings and decorations for a range of occasions.
- To produce and evaluate good quality finished items.
What will I learn?
- How to cover cakes and boards using a variety of icing products
- Piping skills and decorative effects
- Carry out sugar craft modelling techniques using a variety of materials
- Produce flowers and foliage
- Use specialist tools and equipment
- Advanced colour techniques
- To produce samples of techniques with instructions in your portfolio
- An awareness of employment opportunities in the confectionary industry
- How to use tools and equipment safely and correctly
Course lengths vary. Please check the BAES web site www.learnbaes.ac.uk BAES Learning Directory, visit or telephone one of our adult learning centres for details.
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone with previous knowledge of cake decorating and sugar craft or who:
- Those wishing to build on skills developed at beginners level
- Would like to refresh skills and knowledge
- Would like to prepare for a qualification or develop skills to work in the catering sector
Do I need any knowledge, skills or qualifications?
You will need some experience of cake decorating to do this course. As the course involves taking notes, weighing and measuring, you will need to have basic levels of English and maths. Literacy and numeracy at level 1 is recommended. You will have a short initial assessment at the start of the course to ensure that it is suitable for you.
Will I gain any qualifications?
No, this is a non-accredited course.
How will I learn?
- Through tutor demonstration and instruction
- By producing cakes with different decorative techniques
- By producing a small portfolio containing samples, information on techniques you have learned, and photographs of cakes and decorations that you have made
- Individual experimentation, exploration and practice using equipment, tools and techniques
- Carrying out group and individual reviews
- Producing sample pieces and finished items
What could this course lead to?
It could lead to further courses in sugar craft techniques at advanced level, or to a level 2 qualification.
Your responsibilities as a learner on this course
To ensure that you gain maximum benefit from your course you will need to attend all sessions, be punctual, and bring the correct materials to each session.
Fees for this course do not include the cost of materials and tools. During the course you will need to purchase equipment, sugar paste and other sundries costing approximately £50.
For the first week, you will need to bring a note pad and pen, as well as a roll of greaseproof paper. You will also need to wear an apron and some form of head covering during class.
What materials or equipment will I need to provide?
Tutor will advise at enrolment. There will be a cost involved in providing materials for this course.