Cake Decorating & Sugarcraft – Level 1 Award (NCFE)
This course will enable you to develop skills in cake covering, icing and modelling techniques using a range of equipment to produce work of a good standard.
During the course you will look at key skills for employment within the field.
Include elements of research and development into your working projects.
Consider how to develop and transfer your subject knowledge for community/ citizenship use.
Will I gain a qualification on this course?
Yes, NCFE Level 1 Award in Creative Craft using Cake Decorating.
Course lengths vary. Class sessions last between 2.5 to 3 hours per week. Please ask at the centre or consult the Course Brochure to see how many weeks the course runs for.
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who wants to be able to develop basic skills in cake decorating, to prepare for qualifications at a higher level, and, or to learn skills for employment in the catering sector
You will need experience of cake decorating of at least beginners’ level to succeed with this qualification. The course involves taking notes, carrying out basic research, calculating, weighing and measuring, so you will need to have basic levels of English and maths. You will have a short initial assessment at the start of the course to ensure that it is suitable for you.
What will I learn?
- How to make Royal Icing
- How to cover cakes using sugar paste
- How to produce piping bags and carry out a range of piping techniques
- How to carry out basic modelling techniques to produce figures and flowers
- How to colour sugar paste and apply colour with brushes
- To produce samples of techniques with instructions in your portfolio
- An awareness of the colour wheel
- An awareness of employment opportunities in the confectionary industry
- How to use tools and equipment safely and correctly
How will I learn?
- Through tutor demonstration and instruction
- By exploring equipment, tools and techniques
- By carrying out research into techniques and applications
- By creating your own designs
- By critically evaluating your own work as well as that of others
- By producing finished cakes with different decorative techniques to a good standard
What could this course lead to?
It could lead to further courses in sugar craft techniques at intermediate or advanced level, or to a qualification at level 2.
Your responsibilities as a learner on this course
To ensure that you gain maximum benefit from your course you will need to attend all sessions, be punctual, and bring the correct materials to each session.
Fees for this course do not include the cost of materials and tools. During the course you will need to purchase equipment, sugar paste and other sundries costing approximately £50.
For the first week, you will need to bring a folder, note pad and pen, as well as a roll of greaseproof paper. You will also need to wear an apron and some form of head covering during class.