Digital & Computer Skills - Improvers
To develop computer skills and enable you to understand how to use IT to do simple searches on the internet safely and legally and complete online forms to access public services. Send and receive emails, create a document such as a business letter using appropriate software and produce a very basic spreadsheet.
45 guided learning hours at 2-3 hours per week.
Who Is This Course For?
This course is suitable for people with very basic computer knowledge or those who have completed a basic IT course such as Digital & Computers Skills - Beginners. You will further enhance your digital and computer skills, confidence and gain a qualification.
Will I Gain Any Qualification?
Yes. You will gain an Entry Level 3 Certificate in Using IT. All our ICT courses embed development of study skills, English, maths and job related skills to help prepare you for study at higher levels and improve your work prospects.
Do I Need Any Prior Knowledge, Skills Or Qualifications?
A basic knowledge of IT and how to use a keyboard and mouse is required. A basic level of English is needed as will help you to read and understand the instructions given.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Use computers to search for useful information: search the world wide web safely and legally
- Communicate information using emails: know what emails are and how and when to use them; insert images to improve the format of your emails; print and delete un-necessary emails
- Display information using IT: use software to create a new document; learn how to change the layout in a document; change text fonts; make changes to enable your text to stand out more; change text position (alignment); improve the display of a document using borders and images; learn how to save and print a document
What Could This Course Lead To?
At the end of the course, your tutor will check your skills to see what you are ready to do next.
Following completion of this course you will be able to progress onto IT Skills for Employment Level 1 qualification and other Level 1 IT courses including Web Design, Games and Animations Programming, Graphics Design as well as stand-alone modules, such as Learn To Code, How To Build A Computer, to name a few.
How Will I Learn?
- Learning will take place initially in a classroom environment and then online from your home using Birmingham Adult Education Services Virtual Learning Environment (VLE - Moodle) which is a secure online tool to support you with your studies. It has been designed to complement teaching and offers a flexible addition to studying with us. Various other tools like Microsoft Teams, Zoom & Padlet will be used to enhance teaching & learning.
- You will be able to access resources, engage in online activities, study independently, and participate in group discussions with your teacher. You will record your own progress and have your work checked regularly throughout the course.
- Once you are enrolled your teacher will provide you with an enrolment key and show you how to access the resource.
What Materials Or Equipment Will I Need To Provide?
You will need to have access at home to:
- A laptop, computer or a tablet which is connected to the internet
- Microsoft Office 365 which we will provide for free when you enrol on one of our courses
- Notepad and pen – you will need to take notes during the online sessions and a folder to store hand-outs and completed exercises
What We Require Of You As A Learner?
- Regular attendance is essential for you to succeed
- Work at home will need to be completed punctually and sent to your tutor for marking
- You will need to ensure that you allow sufficient time for self-study and complete any homework set
- You will be expected to complete all assessments and complete the full course
- For more information about Birmingham Adult Education Service: www.learnbaes.ac.uk
- BBC: A Beginners Guide to IT http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/connect/BBC_First_Click_Beginners_Guide.pdf
- Microsoft support website https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb
Joanne Hourigan Teaching & Learning Manager… | T: 0121 464 6583 … |M: 07734 773 242