Digital & Computer Skills - Improvers
To develop computer skills and enable you to understand how to use IT to do simple searches on the internet safely and legally, send emails, create a document such as a business letter using appropriate software and produce a very basic spreadsheet.
30 hours. Usually 15 weekly sessions of 2 hours or 12 weekly sessions of 2.5 hours.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for people with very basic computer knowledge or those who have completed a basic IT course such as Digital & Computers Skills - Beginners. You will further enhance your digital and computer skills, confidence and gain a qualification.
Will I gain any qualification?
Yes. You will gain an Entry Level 3 Certificate in Using IT. All our ICT courses embed development of study skills, English, maths and job related skills to help prepare you for study at higher levels and improve your work prospects.
Do I need any prior knowledge, skills or qualifications?
A basic knowledge of IT and how to use a keyboard and mouse. A basic level of English is needed as will help you to read and understand the instructions given.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Use computers to search for useful information: print your findings in a range of formats
- Communicate information using emails: know what emails are and how and when to use them; insert images to improve the format of your emails; print and delete un-necessary emails
- Display information using IT: use software to create a new document; learn how to change the layout in a document; change text fonts; make changes to enable your text to stand out more; change text position (alignment); improve the display of a document using borders and images; learn how to save and print a document
What could this course lead to?
At the end of the course, your tutor will check your skills to see what you are ready to do next.
Following completion of this course you will be able to progress onto IT Skills for Employment Level 1 qualification, Functional Skills IT Level 1 or other Level 1 IT courses including Web Design, Games and Animations Programming, Graphics Design as well as stand-alone modules, such as Learn To Code, How To Build A Computer, to name a few.
How will I learn?
- You will have an Individual Learning Plan which sets targets that are personal to you. Targets will be added throughout the course to develop your IT skills and support your journey to achieve long term goals. Your tutor will give you regular feedback on what you are doing well and what you need to do to improve
- Use of Learner portal (online course to support your learning)
- The tutor showing you things
- Talking with other learners
- Doing tasks with other learners
- Using computers
- Your tutor will give you regular feedback on what you are doing well and what you need to do to improve.
What we require of you as a learner?
- You will be invited to a 1:1 progress review with your tutor. This will take place either 15 minute before or after your normal class time.
- You will need a pen, notepad, and a folder to store hand-outs and completed exercises.
- To improve your progress on the course we expect you to attend on time and every session. If you are unable to attend a session, you will be required to email your tutor with the reason for non-attendance and you will be set work to complete at home.
Joanne Hourigan | Teaching & Learning Manager
T: 0121 464 6583