Calligraphy - Beginners
To enable the learners to write in the four major European historical book hands and to produce basic pieces of finished work in each.
By the end of the course you will:
- Have a basic understanding of how European book hands arose from Roman capitals.
- Be able to combine use of chisel edged pens, pen angles, letter height and use of guidelines to achieve uniform lettering.
- Have a basic understanding of page layout.
- Have basic understanding of types of decoration appropriate to different lettering styles.
- Be able to produce recognisable lettering in the Foundational, Uncial, Black Letter and Italic styles using lower case and basic capitals.
- Be aware of employment opportunities in the hand lettering sector.
- Produce samples and designs for portfolio building.
- Understand how to use and store materials and equipment in line with health and safety guidelines.
- Produce basic pieces of finished work with decoration in four European book hands.
Who is the course for?
For learners who wish to gain basic skills in lettering and decoration techniques.
Do I need any knowledge, skills or qualifications?
You will need basic literacy and numeracy skills (Free help is available within BAES if required). At the start of this course, your tutor will carry out an initial assessment to check that the level is suitable for you.
Will I gain a qualification?
No. This is a basic non-accredited course.
How will I learn?
- Through tutor demonstration and presentation.
- Through regular practice and experimentation.
- By carrying out critical reviews.
- By carrying out research.
- By producing finished items combining lettering and painted decoration.
- Through producing a portfolio.
What could this course lead to?
Study of calligraphy, graphics or painting at intermediate or level 2.
What materials will I need to provide?
A cartridge filled calligraphy pen (left or right handed version as appropriate), a pad of graph paper, pencils and a ruler.
You will need to purchase other materials and equipment as the course proceeds. Tutor will advise at enrolment.