Cake Decorating – Party and Celebration Cakes
To enable you to design and decorate a range of party and celebration themed cakes.
Will I gain a qualification on this course?
No - this is a non-accredited course.
Course lengths vary. Please check the BAES web site www.learnbaes.ac.uk BAES Learning Directory, visit or telephone one of our adult learning centres for details.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for:
- Beginners and those who would like to develop existing skills.
- Anyone with an interest in creating unique designs, and producing specialist, decorative cakes for parties and celebrations.
- Anyone who would like to prepare for a qualification or develop skills to work in the catering sector.
No prior cake decorating experience is necessary. As the course involves taking notes, weighing and measuring, you will need to have basic levels of English and maths. You will have a short initial assessment at the start of the course to ensure that it is suitable for you.
What will I learn?
- How to cover and decorate cake boards.
- Choosing stands and how to support your cake.
- Basic cake design.
- Researching products and designs.
- Piping skills.
- Making your own piping bag and royal icing.
- Basic model making.
- Basic flower and foliage making.
- Creating shapes.
- Cutting techniques and tools.
- Colouring techniques.
- To produce samples of techniques with instructions in your portfolio
- An awareness of employment opportunities in the confectionary industry
- How to use tools and equipment safely and correctly
How will I learn?
- Through tutor demonstration and instruction
- By exploring equipment, tools and techniques
- By producing cakes with different decorative techniques
- By producing a small portfolio containing samples, information on techniques you have learned, and photographs of cakes and decorations that you have made
What could this course lead to?
Further courses in sugar craft techniques at introduction and intermediate level, or to a Level 1 qualification.
Your responsibilities as a learner on this course
To ensure that you gain maximum benefit from your course you will need to attend all sessions, be punctual, and bring the correct materials to each session.
Fees for this course do not include the cost of materials and tools. During the course you will need to purchase equipment, sugar paste and other sundries costing approximately £50.
For the first week, you will need to bring a note pad and pen, as well as a roll of greaseproof paper. You will also need to wear an apron and some form of head covering during class.