Cake Baking - Beginners
This course will cover all of the basic skills and techniques you will need to bake various types of sponge cakes and fruit cakes.
During the course you will look at key skills for employment within the field.
Include elements of research and development into your working projects.
Consider how to develop and transfer your subject knowledge for community/ citizenship use.
The course is for 6 weeks, 2.5 hours per session.
Will I gain a qualification?
No - this is a non-accredited course
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who has an interest in learning to make simple cakes.
Do I need any prior knowledge, skills or qualifications?
You won’t need experience of baking for this course. However, because the course involves following recipes and weighing and measuring ingredients, you will need to have basic levels of English and maths. You will have a short initial assessment at the start of the course to ensure that it is suitable for you.
What will I learn?
- How to select and combine ingredients to make a range of different cakes.
- Correct baking techniques and oven temperatures.
- The importance of personal and kitchen hygiene.
- How to use kitchen equipment correctly and safely.
What could this course lead to?
This course could lead to short courses in other cooking techniques at Beginners Level. You may also want to consider doing a Level 1 or a Level 2 course in Food Safety
How will I learn?
- Tutor demonstration and instruction.
- Practical experimentation.
- By experiencing a range of baking methods.
- By producing a small portfolio containing recipes, techniques learned, and images of the cakes that you have made.
- Your responsibilities as a learner on this course.
- To ensure that you gain maximum benefit from your course you will need to attend all sessions, be punctual, and bring the correct ingredients to each session.
- In addition to the course fees, ingredients will cost between £3.00 and £7.00 per session, depending on the quantity and quality of goods purchased.
- You will need to wear appropriate protective clothing whilst in the training kitchen, including a full length apron or white overall and protective head covering such as a clean headscarf or hat.
- For the first session you will only need to bring a pen, writing pad and folder. The tutor will demonstrate the cake that you will bake in the second session.