Cooking for Survival - Beginners
To gain basic levels of skill in cooking for survival, food preparation and cooking a range or survival foods.
- Be able to carry out basic techniques of baking, frying and boiling
- Understand the basic principles of food combinations using vegetables, pulses and fruits
- Be able to use basic kitchen appliances and equipment to prepare ingredients
- Have a basic understanding of nutritional needs and healthy diets
- Be able to appreciate the essential properties of ingredients
- Be able to prepare for and make simple winter/summer dishes from recipes
- Be aware of food hygiene and safety issues in the kitchen
- Be aware of employment opportunities in the catering industry
- Produce a portfolio of evidence showing skill development and research.
Who is the course for?
For those who wish to learn basic survival cookery skills and to develop a basic knowledge of the properties of foods, methods of food preparation and nutrition.
Do I need any knowledge, skills or qualifications?
Basic literacy and numeracy (free help is available within BAES if required). At the start of this course, your tutor will carry out an initial assessment to check that the level is suitable for you.
Will I gain any qualifications?
How will I learn?
- Tutor demonstration and presentation
- Practical experiments
- Researching recipes and food types
- By cooking a range of dishes
- By keeping a portfolio of evidence of progress and skill development.
What could this course lead to?
Intermediate level in Cooking for Survival.
What materials or equipment will I need to provide?
Tutor will advise at enrolment. There will be a cost for materials and equipment for this course.