Cupcakes - Beginners
This course will cover all of the basic skills and techniques, or help you to build on existing skills and techniques, to help you to bake and decorate good quality cupcakes
The course is for 6 weeks, 3 hours per session.
Will I gain a qualification?
No - this is a non-accredited course.
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone, including those with no experience who wants to learn how to bake and decorate good quality cupcakes.
Do I need any prior knowledge, skills or qualifications?
You won’t need experience of baking for this course. However, because the course involves following recipes and weighing and measuring ingredients, you will need to have basic levels of English and maths. You will have a short initial assessment at the start of the course to ensure that it is suitable for you.
What will I learn?
- How to select and combine ingredients to make and decorate a range of different cupcakes
- Correct baking techniques and oven temperatures
- How to adapt recipes e.g. eggless, vegetarian, larger quantities
- The importance of personal and kitchen hygiene
- How to use kitchen equipment correctly and safely
What could this course lead to?
This course could lead to other short courses in other cooking techniques at Beginners Level. You may also want to consider doing a Level 1 or a Level 2 course in Food Safety
How will I learn?
- Tutor demonstration and instruction
- Practical experimentation
- By experiencing a range of baking methods.
- By producing a small portfolio containing recipes, information about techniques, and photographs of cupcakes you have made.
Your responsibilities as a learner on this course
To ensure that you gain maximum benefit from your course you will need to attend all sessions, be punctual, and bring the correct ingredients to each session.
- In addition to the course fees, ingredients will cost between £3 and £7 per session, depending on the quantity and quality of the goods that you purchase.
- You will need to wear appropriate protective clothing whilst in the training kitchen, including a full length apron or white overall and protective head covering such as a clean headscarf or hat.
- For the first session you will only need to bring a pen, writing pad and folder. The tutor will demonstrate the cake that you will bake in the second session.