Thai Cooking & Vegetable Carving – Beginners
This course will enable you to cook simple Thai dishes. In addition you will learn basic fruit and vegetable carving.
Will I gain a qualification on this course?
No - this is a non-accredited course.
Courses last for 6 weeks, and sessions will last for 2 .5 hours. Please check the BAES web site www.learnbaes.ac.uk visit or telephone one of our adult learning centres for details of dates and times.
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who wants to learn how to cook basic Thai Cooking. Where possible vegetarian options will be taught.
You will need a basic knowledge of cookery skills. You do not need to have prior knowledge of Thai cookery. The course involves note taking, reading recipes, measuring and calculating, so you will need to have basic levels of English and maths. You will have a short initial assessment at the start of the course to ensure that it is suitable for you.
What will I learn?
You will learn -
- How to select appropriate ingredients.
- A range of cooking techniques to produce Thai Dishes.
- How to combine herbs and spices to create authentic Thai flavours.
- Simple fruit and vegetable carving skills.
- Presentation skills.
- Health and safety within the kitchen environment.
- The different ingredients associated with Thai cuisine.
How will I learn?
- Through tutor demonstration and instruction
- By exploring equipment, tools and techniques
- Producing a range of dishes in class and at home
- By producing a portfolio containing recipes, information on techniques you have learned, and photographs of dishes that you have made.
What could this course lead to?
It could lead to further courses in cookery techniques at intermediate or advanced level. You may also wish to or to qualifications at level 1 or 2.which could help you gain employment in the catering industry
Your responsibilities as a learner on this course
To ensure that you gain maximum benefit from your course you will need to attend all sessions, be punctual, and bring the correct materials to each session.
- In addition to the course fees, ingredients will cost between £5.00 and £8.00 per session, depending on the quantity and quality of the ingredients you purchase.
- You will need to wear appropriate protective clothing whilst in the training kitchen, including a full length apron or white overall and protective head covering such as a clean headscarf or hat.
- For the first session you will only need to bring a pen, writing pad and folder. The tutor will demonstrate the dish or meal that you will cook in the second session.