Woodwork and Basic Upholstery – Beginners
Learning Aspects – Key Skills/Techniques/Outcomes
- Woodwork and upholstery techniques
- Use tools, equipment and fireproof materials safely and correctly
- Take and record accurate measurements
- Research ideas for organic, sustainable materials and project/s
Program teaching is delivered through a combination of tutor demonstrations, practical activities and research discussions for ideas and suitable materials.
You will be expected to work independently and engage in group tasks in order to develop your skills and knowledge. The course covers a range of techniques, skills and awareness of sustainability.
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Select, prepare and apply materials for your basic project
- Produce samples of techniques with instructions in your portfolio for future reference
- Upcycle, repair or make a small bespoke project
- Have an awareness of Employment and other opportunities in the subject
This course is suitable for learners who have no prior knowledge of the subject.
But, as the course involves taking notes and measurements, you will need to have basic levels of English and maths. You will have a short initial assessment at the start of the course to ensure that it is suitable for you.
Course lengths vary. Please check the BAES web site www.learnbaes.ac.uk BAES Learning Directory, visit or telephone one of our adult learning centres for details of dates and start times.
It could lead to further courses in Upholstery or Woodwork at higher levels.
Your responsibilities as a learner on this course
To ensure that you gain maximum benefit from your course you will need to attend all sessions, be punctual, and bring the correct materials to each session.
Costs – Additional to course fees
Tools and equipment are available for your use at the centres. However, you will need to purchase some tools and materials for your project. The additional course costs will vary from £20 depending on the size of the project you are making or upcycling, this will be discussed with you at enrolment
As a service we encourage sustainability and use leftover materials for samples of techniques where possible.