English - Entry 1 Award / Prepare for Entry 1
- To improve writing skills
- To prepare you to join an Entry 1 Functional Skills course
- To develop your ability to understand and use effective English in your everyday life and work
Courses are 2 sessions a week. Most courses start in September and finish in December
Who is this course for?
Adults (19+) or young people (16 - 18) who want to start to read and write. You should already speak English clearly.
Do I need any prior knowledge, skills or qualifications?
Nothing. It would help if you can read or write a few words
- Use grammar and punctuation to help make your writing clear
- Spell words important to you, like your address and family names
- Write the letters of the alphabet
- Write short, simple things about yourself eg. personal details on forms
- Gain Entry 1 Award in English Skills - Writing
What could this course lead to?
- English – Entry 1 Functional Skills
- Another sort of class with us or at a college
How will I learn?
- The teacher showing you things
- Talking with other learners
- Doing tasks with other learners
- Using computers
You will have an Individual Learning Plan, which includes some course targets shared by the whole class and some targets which are personal to you. Your tutor will give you regular feedback on what you are doing well and what you need to do to improve.
What we require of you as a learner?
Paper, pen and ring binder plus, if possible, bring along your own device (smartphone or tablet) to access online dictionaries and apps to support your English learning in class. You will also need to be prepared to do some individual work at home between classes. To improve your progress on the course we expect you to attend on time and every session.