Introduction to Floristry Skills
This course will cover all of the basic skills and techniques you will need to produce simple floral designs, or provide you with further skills and techniques to build on existing levels of ability.
Will I gain a qualification on this course?
No - this is a non-accredited course.
Course lengths vary. Approx 2.5 hours / 11 weeks
Please check the BAES web site www.learnbaes.ac.uk BAES Learning Directory, visit or telephone one of our adult learning centres for details.
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone with an interest in developing basic skills, or learning more complex floristry skills.
You will not need experience of Floristry as beginners are welcome on this course. But, as the course involves taking notes and measurements you will need to have basic levels of English and maths. You will have a short initial assessment at the start of the course to ensure that it is suitable for you.
What will I learn?
- How to use materials, tools and equipment to produce different design arrangements
- How to identify commonly used flowers and foliage
- For those with some experience, how to add to existing knowledge and techniques to broaden your repertoire
- How to use primary, secondary and tertiary colours where appropriate
- How to use and store plant material, tools and equipment safely
- An awareness of employment opportunities in the Floristry industry
How will I learn?
- Through tutor demonstration and presentation
- By experimenting with tools and techniques
- By making floral designs and arrangements
- By producing a small portfolio containing images of arrangements that you have made, and techniques learned
What could this course lead to?
You may want to do other short courses at Beginners or Intermediate Level; or you could consider doing an NCFE Level 1 or 2 qualification in Creative Craft - Floristry
Your responsibilities as a learner on this course
To ensure that you gain maximum benefit from your course you will need to attend all sessions, be punctual, and bring the correct materials to each session.
In addition to the course fees, flowers and foliage will cost between £3 and £10 per session, depending on the quantity and quality of goods purchased. For the first session you will only need to bring a pen and writing pad. Materials required for this session will be provided by your tutor.
You will need to purchase a pair of floristry scissors (cost approx. £7) and a floristry knife (cost approx. £7.50) within the first 2 weeks of the course starting the course.