Print Friendly

Looking for a career working with children?


Working with children and young people is one of the most rewarding jobs you can do!

This section contains information about a range of qualifications which can open the door to a variety of careers. Working with children ranges from playwork and childminding to nursing. Alternatively you may wish to follow the route leading to gaining work in a school environment supporting children and teachers.

The qualifications you will gain on these courses are nationally recognised by employers and are designed to demonstrate your abilities and achievements. They will give you the skills to help children and young people reach their full potential.

Do you want to work with pre-school or older children?

Childcare courses: These courses will prepare you for jobs involved with caring for babies, toddlers and pre-school children in a nursery or daycare setting.

Classroom Work courses: These courses will prepare you for work as a Classroom or Teaching Assistant. As a Classroom Assistant, you would be supporting the teacher with their everyday work. Working as part of a team you would help plan learning activities and provide a stimulating learning environment.

Important information for learners wanting to work with children

Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Checks
If you have a criminal record it may bar you from working with children. Please discuss this with a member of staff before you enrol. The cost of a DBS check is currently £44. We will pay the DBS fee for eligible learners who are 16-18 on 1st August 2015. If you are 19+ and on Income Based Benefits, or on a low income, you may be eligible for financial support with the DBS costs – ask for details.

For enrolment on childcare courses and for your DBS check you must provide original, approved documents which give evidence of your identity and address
To get a full DBS check you must have been resident in this country for at least five years. If you have not been resident for this long, you must produce a Statement of Good Conduct (written in English) from your previous country BEFORE you can be enrolled onto a Childcare course.

Go to top

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site