Textiles – Sewing Skills - Level 1 Award (NCFE)
This course will enable you to develop skills in hand and machine sewing techniques using a range of equipment and patterns to produce good standards of clothing, soft furnishings or bags.
Will I gain a qualification on this course?
Yes. NCFE Level 1 Award in Creative Craft using Textiles.
This course lasts for 80 guided learning hours. Please check the BAES web site www.learnbaes.ac.uk BAES Learning Directory, visit or telephone one of our adult learning centres for details of days and times.
Who is this course for?
This course is for individuals who want to be able to gain a Level 1 qualification in this subject, and, or, who might be thinking about looking for work or self-employment in this field.
Ideally you will need to have studied Sewing at Beginners Level. But, as the course involves taking notes and measurements you will need to have basic levels of English and maths. You will have a short initial assessment at the start of the course to ensure that it is suitable for you.
What will I learn?
- You will produce a variety of stitched samples and complete at least one textile item or garment to an agreed standard.
- You will learn how to use research techniques and findings to help you to formulate your own designs for final projects.
- You will learn about colour matching for fabrics and threads.
- You will know how to use tools, techniques and machinery correctly and safely
- You will also look at the types of jobs available in the in the Textiles sector
How will I learn?
- Your tutor will demonstrate techniques which you will practice and experiment with
- You will produce sample pieces in a variety of techniques
- You will carry out research for, then design and make finished projects
- You will take part in individual and group reviews of finished work
- You will produce a portfolio showing your designs and achievements
What could this course lead to?
This course will help you to develop basic levels of design and practical skill in sewing. It will prepare you for Intermediate Level study or a Level 2 qualification.
To ensure that you gain maximum benefit from your course you will need to attend all sessions, be punctual, and bring the correct materials to each session.
The course fees for this qualification do not cover the cost of equipment and materials. You will need to spend approximately £10 on equipment at the beginning of the course, and then up to £15 on material and fabrics as the course progresses. For the first session, you will only need to bring a pen and notepad with you.