Languages – Get by
French, German, Italian, Mandarin and Spanish
Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR): Pre-A1
By the end of the course, learners will be able to understand and use simple phrases and questions to exchange information in familiar situations in the target language.
Total of 5 weeks - 10 hours
Who is this course for?
The course is suitable for complete beginners with no prior knowledge of the language.
For learners who would like to learn the basics of a language in order to get by in the target language.
What do I need to attend the course?
- You may be required to purchase a course book (your tutor will advise in the first lesson)
- You may need to bring a notebook and a pen
- A pocket dictionary or online dictionary is recommended
Learners will acquire basic knowledge of:
- Personal information (e.g. nationality, family, occupation)
- Eating and drinking (e.g. ordering food and drinks in cafés and restaurants)
- Introduction to the language alphabet (for non-Roman script language)
- How to ask questions
- The basic rules of pronunciation
- Cultural aspect
Please note that the above topics and language functions may vary according to the needs of the learners.
How will I be assessed?
This course has no formal qualification; however, you will need to submit your work in class to be assessed by your tutor in order to enhance your learning. You will be expected to complete course related assessments.
A certificate of achievement will be awarded on completion of the course upon request.
What could this course lead to?
A course at Beginners Plus Part 1 level*
*Please note that we cannot guarantee that this level will be offered as all courses are planned subject to sufficient demand.
How will I learn?
The course will be delivered on site at Brasshouse Languages at the Library of Birmingham. The course will cover the four skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing. We aim to match the teaching to a wide range of individual learning styles and to make your learning enjoyable, challenging and rewarding. You will be given homework to complete after each session.
Your commitments as a learner:
- Attend every session of your course. If you need to miss a class, please let your tutor know in advance. Learners should consider their personal commitments and circumstances that may prevent attendance before enrolling on a course as missed classes will affect their learning. Missed classes cannot be taken at another time.
- Have sufficient time for self-study and completion of homework. In order to maximise your learning, we strongly recommend that you spend at least 15 minutes every day (2 hours per week) on self-study, homework, language practice, etc.
- Complete the course.
- Complete all the assessments.
Our courses are funded by the government on that understanding.
If you need to purchase a course book you can do this from European Schoolbooks Ltd and get a 10% discount.
Go to www.eurobooks.co.uk - Click on Partners.
From the Search Options – Stage 1 dropdown menu - Click on Brasshouse Languages.
A list of books will be displayed per language - Select the book advised by your tutor - Click on Buy Now
Please Note: You do not need to open an account, just click on Checkout as a guest.
- The BAES online course directory: www.learnbaes.ac.uk
- Brasshouse Languages website: www.brasshouse.ac.uk