Textiles: Garment Making / Accessories – Construction Skills - Intermediate
- Develop skills to construct a garment or soft furnishings project.
- The course will be ‘topic’ led with a focus to create a wearable garment.
- During the course you will explore the history, origins and fashion styles of your project. You will gain an understanding of the basic shape and fit of your garment and make samples of key features, e.g: Buttonholes, Collars, Facings, Necklines, Pockets, Waistbands and Zips.
- You will also learn new terminology and how to research, prepare, layout, cut and construct your garment using a commercial pattern.
- Throughout the course series you will outline the history of your project and describe different styles, create samples of key features of a garment with the aim to construct the garment to a wearable standard.
What to expect from the course
- Each learner will negotiate a project plan with the Tutor, based on experience and learning goals. Your project could be to construct a garment for yourself or a family member.
- You will be expected to work independently and engage in group tasks in order to develop your skills and knowledge. The course covers a range of techniques and skills, sustainability and awareness of employment and other opportunities in the subject. You will also be expected to undertake work at home as well as during the workshop class time
- Gain an understanding of and strategy of how to source sustainable fabrics and notions. Develop working methods that foster sustainability, create eco-friendly garments/projects. Understand how to care for garments to minimise their impact on the environment.
- Research + enrichment: The history and cultural origins of your chosen garment or project; style features/ basic shape of your chosen project; new terminology.
Why Study with BAES Arts
You will develop an understanding of how to position your career goals within the creative sector across the creative industries.
- Develop practical Art skills, experiment with methods, techniques and processes.
- Learn how to kick-start your career in this industry, exploring design concepts and build wider knowledge within the Arts.
- Our short courses can provide an introduction to key foundation skills needed to enable you to progress onto more in depth courses
Interest in the Creative Arts/ Self Employment. No formal entry requirements
Suitability level: Intermediate / Advanced
- This course is suitable for anybody who is at Intermediate level who want to develop or further there sewing skills using hand and domestic machine sewing techniques.
- As the course involves taking notes and measurements, you will need to have basic levels of English and Maths.
- A good basic level of sewing skills is required, in addition to a good level of written and spoken English. You will be required to take notes, complete written tasks and make mathematical calculations.
- A basic level of IT skills is also useful, to undertake research tasks, write assignments and access the online elements of the course.
Further education courses in Textiles, Fashion and Garment construction at higher levels.
Initial course resources / Additional cost
Tools and equipment are available for your use at the Centre. However, you may need to purchase some tools and materials for your project, this will be discussed with your Tutor if required. The additional course costs will vary £20 - £45 depending on the size of the project you are making. For example: Pattern Drafting paper, fabrics and interfacings, specialist equipment.
Specific Tools/ Equipment: Learners will need a basic sewing kit including - sewing needles, sewing thread, scissors, tape measure, tailors chalk, seam ripper, pins, sewing box to store sewing kit in. As term progresses: a sewing pattern, fabric & notions will also be required for your chosen project. Access to a sewing machine at home is desirable but not essential. Stationary requirements: An A4 lever arch folder, plastic sleeve poly-pockets, pens, pencils, eraser, A4 lined paper, paper glue Access to internet plus laptop /iPad/ smartphone.