Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policy
Purpose of the policy
All members of the BAES community are entitled to be treated fairly, with dignity and respect, and to work and study in a welcoming, safe and supportive environment. This policy exists to ensure that BAES promotes and integrates equality, diversity and inclusion throughout all of its services and activities.
Scope of the policy
This policy applies to all learners enrolled with BAES, all staff, governors, Advisory Board members, subcontractors, visitors and employers providing work placements.
BAES is strongly committed to promoting and embedding equality, diversity and inclusion in all that we do. We welcome all who would benefit from studying with us, regardless of background. We are proud of the diversity of the BAES community and we strive to recognise, value and celebrate individual differences, where everyone is enabled to achieve their full potential. We are opposed to all forms of violent, abusive and discriminatory behaviour, and work conscientiously to tackle inequality and promote diversity and inclusion for all protected characteristics.
To achieve this we will:
- Provide high-quality, responsive provision, services and support that meet the individual needs of learners, staff and service users
- Monitor the take up of provision and the achievement of learners according to protected characteristics and take action to close equalities gaps
- Challenge inequality and discrimination to ensure a safe and equal learning and working environment
- Embrace and celebrate the diversity of our learners, staff and local communities
- Promote equality and British Values in our policies, procedures, plans and practices
- Ensure that learners have a good understanding of equality, diversity, inclusion and British Values
- Ensure that teaching materials, resources and publicity are inclusive
- Ensure that our learners and staff reflect the diverse communities of Birmingham
- Involve staff, learners and stakeholders in securing improvements to our programmes, services and learning and work environment
- Provide an environment where learners and staff feel safe to disclose protected characteristics
- Ensure that staff challenge discrimination and promote equality, diversity and inclusion
- Make reasonable adjustments for the specific needs of individuals
- Fully investigate complaints of discrimination and harassment, which may result in disciplinary action
- Ensure that learner and staff views about equality and respect are captured, analysed and acted upon
Compliance with the policy
The policy will be evaluated for compliance through the Service Quality Cycle, including Learning Walks, Audits of Learning and Progress, Area Quality Reviews, Self-Assessment and Learner Voice, and also through complaints, grievances, staff profile, learner profile and achievement.
Responsibility for the policy
The maintenance and updating of this policy is the responsibility of the Head of Performance and Standards and will be reviewed annually. Responsibility for the implementation and compliance with this policy lies with all staff and learners.