Woodwork - Beginners
This course will enable you to develop basic levels of skill in using tools and equipment to make items from wood.
Will I gain a qualification on this course?
No - this is a non-accredited course.
Course lengths vary.
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who wants to learn about the basic techniques, tools and materials required to be able to carry out basic repairs or make items from wood independently.
You will not need experience of woodwork as this course is for beginners. But, as the course involves taking notes and measurements you will need to have basic levels of English and maths. You will have a short initial assessment at the start of the course to ensure that it is suitable for you.
What will I learn?
- How to use tools and equipment safely and correctly
- How to take and record accurate measurements
- How to produce basic joints
- To produce samples of techniques with instructions in your portfolio
- An awareness of employment opportunities in the carpentry sector
How will I learn?
- Tutor demonstration and instruction
- Exploring equipment, tools and techniques
- Producing wooden joints and small items
What could this course lead to?
It could lead to further courses in woodwork techniques at Intermediate or Advanced Level.
Your responsibilities as a learner on this course
To ensure that you gain maximum benefit from your course you will need to attend all sessions, be punctual, and bring the correct materials to each session.
- Access to tools and equipment is available at the centre.
- It will cost an average of £20 for basic tools and equipment to enable you to practise at home, and roughly £20 for all your materials.
- You will also need to provide your own materials for practising techniques and a folder to store designs and written records.
- For the first week, you will need to bring a folder, paper and pen.