Upholstery - Level 1 Award in Creative Craft
To enable learners to explore materials, techniques and equipment to develop basic upholstery skills, to develop creative ideas and to produce and evaluate finished upholstery items.
- Take and record measurements for classroom projects
- Have basic knowledge of primary and secondary colours
- Produce cutting plan whilst being aware of line and proportion
- Choose fabrics and accessories that are appropriate for projects
- Select and use appropriate equipment whilst being aware of health and safety issues
- Understand preparation involved in setting up and using sewing machine for utility and decorative purposes
- Develop basic skills in materials, patterns and cutting
- Prepare and use pressing equipment
- Produce samples and techniques for portfolio building
- Be aware of employment opportunities in the textiles industry
Who is the course for?
For those wishing to gain basic skills in upholstery, wishing to progress to level 2 study, or who wish to seek employment in the upholstery industry.
Do I need any knowledge, skills or qualifications?
At least entry level 3 in literacy and numeracy (Free help is available in BAES if required). At the start of this course, your tutor will carry out an initial assessment to check that the level is suitable for you.
Will I gain any qualifications?
NCFE Level 1 Creative Craft.
How will I learn?
- Tutor presentation and demonstration
- Experimenting and exploring equipment tools and techniques
- Collecting source material to develop ideas
- Carrying out group and individual reviews
- Producing practical finished items
- Produce a portfolio of evidence
What could this course lead to?
Intermediate level study, or NCFE Certificate in Creative Craft – Upholstery Level 2.
What materials or equipment will I need to provide?
Tutor will advise at enrolment. There will be a cost involved in providing materials for this course.