ESOL - Level 1 / Preparing for English Functional Skills
- To enable you to speak, read and write in English at a level necessary to function and progress at work and in society in general
- To allow you to take the ESOL - Level 1 Speaking and Listening accreditation and English - Entry 3 Award in Reading and Writing
- To prepare you to join an English Functional Skills - Level 1 course
Who is this course for?
This course is for adults (19+) speakers whose first language is not English and who need to develop their English language skills in order to live and work in the United Kingdom. For students on JSA, ESA (WRAG) or other eligible income-based benefits, and who are studying to improve skills to help them gain employment, these courses are free. Learners on other benefits with a low income may also qualify for significantly discounted rate.
Will I gain any qualification?
ESOL - Level 1 Award in Speaking and Listening and English - Entry 3 or Level 1 Award in Reading and Writing
Do I need any prior knowledge, skills or qualifications?
Before starting the course you will be assessed to determine whether this level is suitable for you. To begin this level your level of English will be equivalent to having passed an ESOL - Entry 3 level Certificate. Every learner has an individual learning plan negotiated with the tutor that highlights the skills you need to develop and records your progress.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Speak in different social, study and work situations, make requests and ask questions to obtain information, express clearly statements of fact, explanations, accounts and descriptions, give spoken information and ideas in a logical sequence
- Follow and contribute to discussions on a range of topics
- Listen for and identify relevant information from explanations, instructions and narratives
- Provide feedback and confirmation when listening to others and respond to questions about a range of topics
- Read better for different purposes
- Understand the purpose, layout and some features of some different sorts of text
- Write better letters, emails, leaflets etc.
- Plan, draft and proof read to improve your writing
What could this course lead to?
Progression to an English Functional Skills - Level 1 course
How will I learn?
Through a variety of different methods to suit individual needs:
- Short conversations, role plays, worksheets, videos, audio clips and online activities
- Group work, pair work
- Use of the BAES Learner Zone (online resources to support your learning)
- Individual work with your tutor and, on some courses, the support of a trained volunteer tutor.
What we require of you as a learner?
A ring binder, paper and pen. To improve your progress on the course we expect you to attend every session on time.
Birmingham Adult Education Service: www.learnbaes.ac.uk
The British Council: https://esol.britishcouncil.org/
BAES Information Line 0121 303 4318