ESOL - Pre-Entry
- To improve your language skills by setting an individual learning plan
- To enable you to progress to an ESOL - Entry 1 level qualification course
Who is this course for?
This course is for adult (19+) learners whose home language is not English and who need to develop their English language skills in order to study, live and work in the United Kingdom. For students on JSA, ESA (WRAG) or other eligible income-based benefits, and who are studying to improve skills to help them gain employment, these courses are free. Learners on other benefits with a low income may also qualify for a significantly discounted rate.
Do I need any prior knowledge, skills or qualifications?
Before starting the course you will be assessed to check if this level is suitable for you.
By the end of the course, you will have a greater understanding of living in the UK and will be able to:
- Give information about yourself
- Ask for different things
- Learn and use new words
- Listen and respond to requests
- Listen and follow instructions
- Read and write the alphabet
- Spell some personal and familiar words
- Read and understand everyday signs and symbols
- Write your name and address
- Fill in a simple form
What could this course lead to?
Progression to an ESOL - Entry 1 course at a BAES centre
How will I learn?
- Working on your own or with other group members
- With support from your tutor and, on some courses, a trained volunteer tutor
- Conversation, role plays, discussions, watching videos, listening to audio clips, quizzes, games and trips out and about
- Use of apps and recommended websites
- You will have an individual learning plan, which includes some course targets shared by the whole class and some targets which are personal to you. Your tutor will give you regular feedback on what you are doing well and what you need to do to improve.
What we require of you as a learner?
To improve your progress on the course we expect you to attend on time and every session.
Birmingham Adult Education Service: www.learnbaes.ac.uk
The British Council: https://esol.britishcouncil.org/
BAES Information Line 0121 303 4318