ESOL - Level 1
Who is this course for?
Adults (19+) who speak another language and want to improve their English to live and work in the UK. The course is free for learners on certain eligible, income-based benefits such as Universal Credit, JSA, ESA.
- To learn about life in the UK.
- To improve your reading, writing, speaking and listening in English to help you in your everyday life and work.
- To improve your IT skills for basic communication and learning
What qualifications do I need?
No qualifications are needed. You will be assessed and placed into a class suitable for your level.
What will I learn?
At the end of this course you should be able to:
- Give presentations on various topics to give information and ideas in a logical sequence while using appropriate grammar (past, present, future, and active passive).
- Discuss social issues, offer advice and suggestions using formal and informal language.
- Make requests and ask questions to obtain information in familiar and unfamiliar situations.
- Listen to various audios and get information from them.
- Read different types of texts such as stories, news articles, adverts, posters, brochures and get information from them.
- Learn about different festivals and days of celebration in the UK.
- Plan, write and proofread formal and informal letters and emails.
- Write descriptive texts to offer suggestions and advice using accurate grammar, spellings and punctuation.
How will I learn?
- Attend for 1, 2 or 3 sessions per week depending on your course.
- Work in groups, pairs or individually.
- Online learning and in the classroom.
- Paper-based and online activities set as homework to complete on your own from home.
- You will be set targets that are personal to you.
- 1:1 talks with your teacher to talk about your progress (tutorials).
Will I gain any qualification?
You will get a chance to complete awards in Level 1 speaking and listening, reading and writing.
What could this course lead to?
This course could lead to a possible Functional Skills English course with us, or another provider, and help you to find a job.