AAT Award in Bookkeeping – Level 1
This course provides you with an opportunity to develop practical bookkeeping skills.
75 guided learning hours, 3 - 5 hour sessions per week.
Who is this course for?
This course offers you the opportunity to develop key practical skills used in every business as a route into employment or be of interest to those already in employment.
The qualification will particularly suit those who:
- have minimal work experience
- seek to validate their existing skills to enter into or progress in their career
- want a qualification from the industry-recognised provider, which is valued by employers in a range of industries
- would like to test their abilities before progressing further with AAT
- are self-employed or working in small businesses who wish to do their own bookkeeping
Will I gain any qualifications?
Yes. You must successfully achieve one mandatory unit assessment to achieve the AAT Award in Bookkeeping – Level 1 qualification.
Do I need any prior knowledge, skills or qualifications?
No prior knowledge, skills or qualifications are required. A basic level of English is needed as this will help you to read and understand the materials provided.
The course outcomes are:
- understand the role of the bookkeeper
- understand financial transactions
- process customer and supplier transactions
- process receipts and payments
- understand the benefits and risks of using accounting software to complete bookkeeping tasks
Support if you are registered unemployed, looking for a job or a better job – Route to Work
As part of your programme of learning, we will support you to develop the skills you need to get a job or a better job, such as CV writing, application forms, interviews and working in a team. Your teacher will discuss your individual learning and development needs to agree with you which of our Route to Work short courses will best suit your needs and enrol you on these modules.
What could this course lead to?
This course could lead to AAT Certificate in Bookkeeping - Level 2 or AAT Certificate in Accounting - Level 2.
How will I learn?
Learning for this course is ‘Blended’, using both online and onsite environments. Your teacher will explain how your course will be delivered. You will be shown how to access Birmingham Adult Education Services (BAES) Virtual Learning Environment (VLE - Moodle) which is a secure online tool which provides you with resources and support for your studies.
You will be able to access resources like Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Padlet, to engage in activities, study independently, and participate in group discussions with your teacher. You will record your own progress and have your work checked regularly throughout the course.
What materials or equipment will I need to provide?
You will need to have access at home to:
- A laptop, computer which is connected to the internet
- Microsoft Office 365 (Excel) which we will provide for free when you enrol on one of our courses
- Notepad and pen – you will need to take notes during the online sessions and a folder to store hand-outs and completed exercises
What we require of you as a learner?
- Regular attendance is essential for you to succeed
- You will be expected to attend the full course and sit an exam
- Work at home will need to be completed punctually and sent to your teacher for marking
- You will need to ensure that you allow sufficient time for self-study and complete any homework set
- Register with AAT
For more information about Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) https://www.aat.org.uk/