Introduction to SAGE
This course introduces you to SAGE accounting software and the primary features of SAGE.
45 guided learning hours, 3 - 5 hour sessions per week.
Who is this course for?
This course offers you the opportunity to develop key practical skills used in most businesses as a route into employment or be of interest to those already in employment. The qualification will particularly suit those who:
- have minimal work experience
- are seeking to validate their existing skills to enter or progress in their career
- are self-employed or working in small businesses who wish to use SAGE accounting software
Will I gain any qualification?
You will be issued with a Certificate of Achievement.
Do I need any prior knowledge, skills or qualifications?
No prior knowledge, skills or qualifications are required. A basic level of English is needed as this will help you to read and understand the materials provided.
You will set up a company and record financial transactions from a variety of documents. You will also be able to recognise potential risks to accounting software security and know how to protect against accounting software threats. The course outcomes are:
- understanding the benefits and risks of using accounting software.
- setting up company accounts.
- creating customer and supplier records
- recording bank and cash transactions
- producing reports using accounting software
What is the difference between Bookkeeping & SAGE?
A manual bookkeeping system will simply record the incomings (income) and outgoings (expenditure) of a business. A business will need to retain certain documents in order to keep a track of its financial affairs. Sage accounting is a software program that allows small business owners to track their income and expenses in multiple currencies, as well as track inventory and managing their financial documents. This accounting software is suitable for small to medium sized businesses.
What could this course lead to?
This course is intended to support you in gaining employment. You will benefit from an understanding of manual bookkeeping upon completion of this course. This experience will help you progress confidently onto AAT Award in Bookkeeping Level 1 course through AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians).
What type of job could I apply for with SAGE experience?
- Accounts Assistant/Clerk
- Office Administrator/Clerk
- Finance Administrator/Clerk
How will I learn?
Learning for this course is onsite at our Brasshouse centre. Your teacher will explain how your course will be delivered. You will be shown how to access Birmingham Adult Education Services (BAES) Virtual Learning Environment (VLE - Moodle) which is a secure online tool which provides you with resources and support for your studies.
You will be able to access resources like Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Padlet, to engage in activities, study independently, and participate in group discussions with your teacher. You will record your own progress and have your work checked regularly throughout the course.
Support if you are registered unemployed, looking for a job or a better job – Route to Work
As part of your programme of learning, we will support you to develop the skills you need to get a job or a better job, such as CV writing, application forms, interviews and working in a team. Your teacher will discuss your individual learning and development needs to agree with you which of our Route to Work short courses will best suit your needs and enrol you on these modules.
What materials or equipment will I need to provide?
You will need to have access at home to:
- laptop, computer or a tablet, which is connected to the internet
- Microsoft Office 365, which we will provide free when you enrol on one of our courses
- notepad and pen – you will need to take notes during the onsite sessions and a folder to store handouts and completed exercises
What we require of you as a learner?
- Regular attendance and punctuality is essential for you to succeed.
- Work at home will need to be completed punctually and sent to your teacher for marking.
- You will need to ensure that you allow sufficient time for self-study and complete any homework set.
- You will be expected to complete all assessments and complete the full course.
For more information about Birmingham Adult Education Service (BAES): www.learnbaes.ac.uk