AAT Certificate in Bookkeeping – Level 3
This course aims to develop existing skills and knowledge to an advanced level for anyone wishing to pursue a career in bookkeeping.
210 guided learning hours, 5 hour sessions per week.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for those who wish to focus soley on developing their bookkeeping skills in order to progress quickly to employment or to focus on becoming a bookkeeper. Learners may wish to start with this qualification before progressing to complete the AAT Diploma in Accounting – Level 3, in order to gain a wider knowledge of accountancy.
Will I gain any qualifications?
Yes. You must successfully pass two mandatory unit assessment to achieve the AAT Certificate in Bookkeeping – Level 3 qualification.
Do I need any prior knowledge, skills or qualifications?
Yes. Prior knowledge, skills or level 2 qualification in bookkeeping and/or accounting are required. A basic level of English is needed as this will help you to read and understand the materials provided.
The course outcomes are:
Financial Accounting: Preparing financial statements
- understand accounting principles underlying final accounts preparation
- understand the principles of advanced double-entry bookkeeping.
- implement procedures for the acquisition and disposal of non-current assets
- prepare and record depreciation calculations
- record period end adjustments
- produce and extend the trial balance
- produce financial statements for sole traders and partnerships
- interpret financial statements using profitability ratios
- prepare accounting records from incomplete information
Tax processes for businesses
- understand legislation requirements relating to VAT
- calculate VAT
- review and verify VAT returns.
- understand principles for payroll.
- report information within the organisation
Support if you are registered unemployed, looking for a job or a better job – Route to Work
As part of your programme of learning, we will support you to develop the skills you need to get a job or a better job, such as CV writing, application forms, interviews and working in a team. Your teacher will discuss your individual learning and development needs to agree with you which of our Route to Work short courses will best suit your needs and enrol you on these modules.
What could this course lead to?
Once the Level 3 has been achieved you can become eligible for AAT Qualified Bookkeeper (AATQB) status and set up your own bookkeeping practice. This course could lead to AAT Professional Diploma in Accounting - Level 4 (MAAT).
What types of jobs could I get?
This course could lead to the following employment opportunities:
- Professional Bookkeeper
- Senior Bookkeeper
- Accounts Manager
- Ledger Manager
How will I learn?
Learning for this course is ‘Blended’, using both online and onsite environments. Your teacher will explain this further. You will be shown how to access Birmingham Adult Education Services (BAES) Virtual Learning Environment (VLE - Moodle) which is a secure online tool, which provides you with support for your studies.
You will be able to access resources like Moodle, Zoom, Padlet, to engage in activities, study independently, and participate in group discussions with your teacher. You will record your own progress and have your work checked regularly throughout the course.
What materials or equipment will I need to provide?
You will need to have access at home to:
- laptop, computer or a tablet which is connected to the internet.
- Microsoft Office 365 which we will provide for free when you enrol on one of our courses.
- notepad and pen – you will need to take notes during the online sessions and a folder to store hand-outs and completed exercises.
- books recommended by teacher.
What we require of you as a learner
- regular attendance and punctuality is essential for you to succeed.
- work at home will need to be completed punctually and sent to your teacher for marking.
- you will need to ensure that you allow sufficient time for self-study and complete any homework set.
- you will be expected to complete all assessments and complete the full course.
- register with AAT.
For more information about Birmingham Adult Education Service (BAES): www.learnbaes.ac.uk
For more information about Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT): www.aat.org.uk