Learn to code
To develop skills to understand and learn basic coding techniques. This course is a good starting point for anyone wanting to explore coding/programming.
20 Guided Learning Hours. Courses are usually 5 x 2hrs per week.
Who Is This Course For?
Those with some IT skills and a keen interest in the more logical programming side of IT. Those wishing to progress into jobs in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) industries and in the digital skills sector. Coding is part of the new Digital Agenda and is being taught in schools, colleges and to adults. If you want to find out what it’s all about this is the course for you.
Will I Gain Any Qualifications?
No. This is a course to develop your skills further. There is no qualification awarded, but you will receive a certificate from Birmingham Adult Education Service.
Do I Need Any Prior Knowledge, Skills Or Qualifications?
This course is not suitable for complete beginners. You do not need any previous IT qualifications but you will need a logical mind and a very keen interest in computer coding in general. You will need knowledge of using a QWERTY keyboard. You must also have English and Maths skills at Level 1 or above.
What Could This Course Lead To?
This course is part of our digital pathway and could support your future employment in technical fields such as programming, project management, creative digital arts and working for such employers as HS2. It will also support you to design your own website as well as other courses we offer such as: How To Set Up A Social Media Campaign, How To Build A Computer and other level 1 IT Qualifications.
How Will I Learn?
- Learning will take place initially in a classroom environment and then online from your home using Birmingham Adult Education Services Virtual Learning Environment (VLE - Moodle) which is a secure online tool to support you with your studies. It has been designed to complement teaching and offers a flexible addition to studying with us. Various other tools like Microsoft Teams, Zoom & Padlet will be used to enhance teaching & learning.
- You will be able to access resources, engage in online activities, study independently, and participate in group discussions with your teacher. You will record your own progress and have your work checked regularly throughout the course.
- Once you are enrolled your teacher will provide you with an enrolment key and show you how to access the resource.
What Materials Or Equipment Will I Need To Provide?
You will need to have access at home to:
- A laptop, computer which is connected to the internet
- Notepad and pen – you will need to take notes during the online sessions and a folder to store hand-outs and completed exercises
- You will need to have an email account and having access to online storage is advisable.
What We Require Of You As A Learner?
- Regular attendance is essential for you to succeed
- You will be expected to attend the full course
- Work at home will need to be completed punctually and sent to your teacher for marking
- You will need to ensure that you allow sufficient time for self-study and complete any homework set
- For more information about Birmingham Adult Education Service: www.learnbaes.ac.uk