How to Stay Safe Online
This course will show you how to keep you and your family safe when using the internet.
3 guided learning hours
Who Is This Course For?
This is a short course for Adults (19+) who would like to learn about the online risks and threats and learn some simple skills to minimise the risks and stay safe online.
Will I Gain Any Qualification?
Do I Need Any Prior Knowledge, Skills Or Qualifications?
You should have a working knowledge of Microsoft Windows.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
• Identify a scam email
• Understand the threats of Malware and Viruses
• Choose a strong password
• Report cyber bullying or other online concerns
What Could This Course Lead To?
At the end of the course, your tutor will check your skills to see what you are ready to do next.
Following completion of this course you will be able to progress onto other IT courses for example IT Skills for Employment Level 1 qualifications
How Will I Learn?
• Learning will take place initially in a classroom environment.
• You will be able to access resources, engage in online activities, study independently, and participate in group discussions with your teacher. You will record your own progress and have your work checked.
• Once you are enrolled your teacher will provide you with an enrolment key and show you how to access the resource.
What Materials Or Equipment Will I Need To Provide? (online courses only)
You will need to have access at home to:
• A laptop, computer or a tablet which is connected to the internet
• Microsoft Office 365 which we will provide for free when you enrol on one of our courses
• Notepad and pen – you will need to take notes during the online sessions and a folder to store hand-outs and completed exercises
What We Require Of You As A Learner?
• To attend the full 3hr session.
• For more information about Birmingham Adult Education Service: www.learnbaes.ac.uk
• Microsoft support website https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb